Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Try a little canvas

If you a haven't tried stamping on canvas I gotta tell you, you are missing a lot of fun!! For my first canvas adventure I tried my hand at making a little ATC traveling case for my swaps. I used Claudine Hellmuth's sticky back canvas that was introduced by Ranger Industries last fall. I had bought a package but with all my Christmas projects I didn't have an opportunity to think about where to start with this product. Then recently I found a similar project with directions on Ranger's website. Of course I had to make it my own LOL!

I began with Claudine's resist technique. I dipped foam stamps into gesso to stamp the polka dots and swirls in the center. I sponged over the gesso dots and swirls with fire brick distress ink. I then added a few flourishes in black archival ink. I cut material to cover the entire inside but left a side seam allowance of 1/4" on both sides. Yeah, sticky back canvas makes projects fast and easy. I zipped off the backing and on went the fabric. Folded up the bottom and hand pressed the side edges together for a good seal. I added a little checkered ribbon trim on the inside to cover the side edges.


I used gold metallic dabber acrylic paint to add interest to the outside opening edge and black dabber acrylic paint for the sides. Embellished with plain white Prima paper flowers that I inked and stamped and finished with some final pearls. This whole project took less that 1 hour including drying times...and most of my time was spent selecting the combination of stamps, inks, and material.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Painting with Alcohol inks






I love swishing my aquabrush with pretty alcohol inks across acetate. I find this technique not to be a precision painting style but rather lends itself to relaxing and playful creative time. This one I had fun experimenting by adding playful dots.


I used parts of background stamps for both of these images. I had fun adding stickles behind the alcohol ink for a set of ATCs.

Christmas card recycling


I participated in a swap at the Shack that asked for Christmas cards to be recycled into cards that could be used for other purposes. This is what I came up with...


I recycled the gold frame and used some lovely holiday red paper for the background.





This original background behind the fern was a painting like Christmas card front. I prepared a base piece of cardstock by running it through the xyron. I laid out the pieces as I cut them into strips. The burgundy background is sprayed with Radiant Rain. The fern is stamped on a transparency and dabber gold acrylic paint is on the back.
For this final card I used the back of a card for the background of this new one. The stamped images are made with shrink plastic.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Living with Extreme Cold

Our weather plummeted to EXTREME COLD temperatures for 17 days after Christmas. Temperatures were generally in the range of -35 to 45 degrees below zero. One of the most dangerous parts of such extreme cold is when particles freeze in the air creating ice fog causing visibility to be severely limited. Life tended to move at a survival level of going outside only to go to and from work with a maximum of 1 essential stop. All energy is focused on the basics. Finally the extreme temperatures broke with a warm air current bringing us an unheard of 80 degree temperature difference within 24 hours.

The warm weather was welcomed for the fireworks display to kick the celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Alaska statehood . The display had been cancelled three times during the extreme cold. The fireworks opened with a display of several large candles floating into the air which turned into stars forming the pattern of the Big Dipper -the design of our state flag. What a fun evening of watching fireworks in the warm weather! That's something unheard of here since we have sun all night long during typical July 4th fireworks we regularly have our big fireworks display on New Years.



Like everything my creative projects screeched to a minimum. I began the year with recycling many calendars by making them into envelopes for my cards. I recycled a piece of clear packaging plastic to use as a view finder to determine the best placement of the picture. I tried to layout the envelope so the most interesting portion would be on the left side to allow for the address.





I also participated in a sympathy card swap and enjoyed preparing one of my favorites techniques of white embossing on white vellum and coloring on the back side of the vellum to create a soft look.








I have also been busy creating a few RAK’s, birthday cards and such. I am enjoying the size of these short cards inspired by Godelieve. I also learned the vellum technique from her as one of 2 Peas special event challenges-many thanks Godelieve! On the short cards I added dye ink, stamping and shimmerz to the white paper primas. Glossy accents give dimension to the berries. The heart is cut from a recycled Christmas card. 3-D foam is placed behind the center of the petals adds dimension to the center flower. Thanks for stopping by!