Friday, August 1, 2014

Summer- Mixed Media Card Challenge #2

Welcome back for my post to kick-off the 2nd month at Mixed Media Card Challenge!

Here in northern Alaska winter is v-e-r-y long and white. Summer is a time to celebrate our long sunlight filled days. It is so easy to hang out with friend and family into the wee hours when it is  daylight for nearly 20 hours.

As I thought about this month's summer theme....I knew I wanted to use a bright summer palette and pulled out my stamps including a sun, bird and an icy delight.  Here is what I created:

I started by painting the background with distress stains.  To add more interest I stenciled a layer of embossing paste. I love the movement and energy these dotted swirls added to a background.

The bird is styled for a party complete with necklace and hat using distress stains, inks and pens. I wanted the drink to look as refreshing as possible so I stamped the glass on acetate with solvent ink, colored the back with sharpie pens and adhered to white cardstock.

Since the bottom of the card had the raised embossing paste which would cause issues with stamping a clean sentiment, I stamped on acetate and attached directly to the background. I like the look of the background shining through the sentiment.

The burlap adds some texture and grounds the bird's feet to the background.

Perhaps you are thinking what happened to the sun stamp that I mentioned is what the image looks like...

As you can see it is "too much" to add to my card but with some masking I was able to use a part of the image for the bird's necklace! 

I hope you decide to play in this month's Mixed Media Card Challenge!

Get inky and have fun!...Jan

Supplies: Ranger's distress stains and inks, stickles, archival ink. Also Stazon ink, Signo White Ink, Gel pens, Embossing Paste, Colorbox Art Screen-Swirl Dots,  Graphix Acetate, Therm O Web-Vellum Adhesive Runner and Burlap   
Stamps: Dina Wakley's Scribbly birds set; Glass-stamp co. no longer in business; Celebrate!-STAMPlorations, Celebrate Sentiment Builder Set.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A Card from Scratch

This week’s Monday Challenge at Simon Says Stamp is to make something from scratch.  For me  gardening and drying flowers extends our short summer and carries happy memories into our long winter. So I am very excited to start in my garden to create this card from scratch.  I select the best flowers and plants for their size, color and quality to make the card. I use a microwave flower press to quickly dry the plant material. For this challenge I decided to incorporate watercolor, acrylic paints and stamping with the 2 dried flowers and fern.  Here is my card created from scratch.


The image background is started with a watercolor technique.  After the background is dry I ink a background script stamp and stamped it off onto scrap paper and then onto the watercolor background.  To create some additional interest I ink a flower blossom stamp with white acrylic paint and stamp the subtle image onto the background then completely dry it. 

Each dried piece is laid into place for a final layout checkI put a small amount of gel medium on the background to adhere the flower and then a small amount on my finger I very delicately rub it on the front of each petal from the center to the outer tip of the petal. Hooray, the gel medium did not react with the watercolor background. Then I use a white pen to color in accents on the stamped image and add a flower stock.  
For my card base I used a high quality paper for acrylic paint to create a metallic and iridescent background.  I start by covering the paper with a black paint and after drying I sponge on metallic silver and repeat additional layers of black and silver iridescent paints, drying between each layer. 

This project is also a reminder of the new Mixed Media Card Challenge #1 .  I am on their design team and encourage you to consider entering before the deadline of July 25, 11:55 p.m. PDT (GMT -700).                                        

Happy inky moments!...Jan



Stamps: Stampendous Agapanthus background flower;  Hero Arts Cherish Yesterday

Paper: Arches white wove, Tim Holtz watercolor paper

Acrylic Paint: Golden fluid acrylic carbon black, metallic sparkle and silver iridescent  

Inks: Archival Black and Watering Can; Kaleidacolor multicolor, Uniball Signo white pen, Micron Archival Ink Pen

Other Supplies:  Golden Soft Gel Medium and Microfleur flower press

Monday, July 7, 2014

Saying thanks to our military

Hi there!
I hope if you live in the USA you enjoyed part of this weekend celebrating our freedom and appreciating members of our armed forces. I spent time creating this card for operation Write Home. This card will be included for AnyHero with a note of appreciation and encouragement.


I started by making a watercolor background inking a brayer with a Kaleidacolor ink pad and misting. Once dry I over-stamped with various star stamps.  The field of red is made by using Memory Box's wave stencil. The sentiment is embossed in white to give it some extra pop. 

Hope it is not long before your fingers are inky too!