Sunday, August 17, 2008

Artist Trading Cards

Ever sign on to a swap thinking this is a pretty easy topic but then feel like you struggle through the journey that follows? I am working on ATC's on with a flower theme and one with that requires using some acetate.

Our usual fabulous summers here have had a sad twist with rain, rain, rain since July 4th and temps hanging in the 50's. Unfortunately most of our flowers and vegetable gardens are no longer beautiful. So I think the sadness of losing a season of beautiful flowers and warmth reflected into my work.
Here I tried a new technique call black velvet. While the technique did come out like described it give interesting results. I used an image that looks hand carved.

I tried playing with using some of last year's dried flowers. :-( didn't get to dry any this year...good thing I still have a plentiful stash from last year!

Here I played with the acetate and layers of inks and papers. I think it is time to let these sit and to move along to a different project or two....happy stamping!!!

Blog Candy Winner!

Thanks to The Custom Random Number Generator we have a blog candy winner!
Happy day for Christy !
She left the comment "Very pretty cards Jan!!!!!! Don't feel bad about the word verification, I had to do it on my blog too for the same reasons!" Christy do know I will put the candy in the mail tomorrow.

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Color Challenges & Blog Candy too!

Generally I steer clear of color challenges because they seem to give me a creative block and since I don't often use printed paper I often need the right inks to go with the techniques which often runs into an enabling situation (yes, off to the store once again LOL!).

Yellow, Red and Black Challenge

Yes, this month Stamp Shack's challenge team is finishing our 1 year term. Stacy has coordinated the year's color challenges and has truly gone above and beyond in helping to coordinate our many other projects. I wanted to thank her for her dedication and support so I made this card for her final challenge.

Last week Stacy participated in my final technique challenge (background masking) and posted a beautiful card that can be seen on her blog. As usual her card is filled with many exceptional details. Thanks Stacy for such a wonderful year and the lovely remembrance.

For this card I stamped Rubber Stampede's Gerber Daisy in Adirondack pigment yellow and embossed. Blended Nick Bantock's vermillion lacquer ink with my Ranger blending that tool!!! I used Ranger acrylic white dabber to bounce a little white highlight into the flower's center for some added depth. Edged with a corner of SU's flourish stamp. Added dew drops and ribbon for embellishment.

Pumpkin orange, yellow, and blue Challenge

This week's blog at Hero Arts features color information. The challenge offers a choice of three color combinations and of course reguires using at least 1 HA stamp.

The orange background mat was stamped with HA Wild Fairy Lily stamp...slightly tricky with all those stems. Stamped without reinking to add lighter images for depth. The HA watercolor sunflower is new to my collection-I love it. Stamped in Adirondack's pigment ink and embossed. Blended Nick Bantock's deep turquoise for the background. This long legged HA Decorative Bird was selected for his ability to reach the sunflower seeds. His body has a 2nd layer on pop dots. Stickles and sunflower seeds were added for embellishment.

Blog Candy Sorry, I recently have experienced several spam comments so I had to add the word verification on to my comments section...I know I too dislike those so much! But I hope you will still leave a comment. In appreciation I am offering a little blog candy-2 distress ink pads -tea dye and vintage photo and a sample of Cut N Dry foam (blending sponge) in this cute little tote that can wonderful hold your Stickles or dabbers. I will randomly selected the winner from the comments posted here Friday, August 15 by 4pm AST (yep, that's Alaska Standard Time).

PS. A stamper from 2 peas and Hero Art's flicker group asked that I share a link to her new blog. Anne is currently working on an Art Journal project. In Addition to her art blog she has a beautiful professional photography blog. Tell Anne I said Hi if you get a chance to stop by.

Monday, August 4, 2008

Another challenge

As my final technique challenge on the Creative Team member at the Stamp Shack I provided information on a range of background masking techniques. Here are a few samples:

This one shows a layer technique using a torn paper mask and the new Ranger pigment inks. I used a range blending tool to achieve the even colors. The sky is made with the CB distress embossing folder.

This next card is a pop-up...alway guarenteed to have a fun surprise inside. I masked real ferns for the background on this one.

Spray ink or paint make for a fast background and some real glitz in person.

I made this last card for a new neighbor. I stippled around a mask by Heidi Swap for this one.

Thanks for letting me share!