Sunday, January 13, 2013

Six Crayons and a Candle for your 70th year!


This week I created a special birthday card to honor and celebrate a special stamping friend’s 70th birthday.

 

Joan card 1.10.13
As I thought about appropriate images for the card this week’s challenge topic at Simon Says Stamp & Share , “embrace the old” replayed in my mind. Finally I grabbed a new stamp-a box of 8 Crayola Crayons from Stamper’s Best and decided I wanted to embrace the old with the new.  Wow what great memories flood me, of the smell of new crayons and all perfectly sharpened…at least until they got into my hands LOL!

So I started by creating a multi-media background, one of the current new twists. For the background’s bands of crayon colors I used Ranger’s distress stains and the vibrant colors at the bottom of the background are Ranger’s Dylusions sprays.  Stencils are making a comeback.  I enjoyed them in my childhood and smiled with the memories as I grabbed a new stencil and added dots to the card’s base.

Glossy and sparkling accents are newer products. But I learned to manipulate paper at an early age to make flowers look more realistic. So I bent the candle and rounded it to give a realistic dimension and placed it on thin pop dots.  The final touch was the decision to stamp seven stars across the sky’s rainbow in crayon colors to honor my friend’s years of creativity and celebrate this special year!

3 comments:

  1. I love all of the bright and happy colours in this card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card. Love the image and the vibrant olour palette is perfect. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the lucky one to find this in my post box on the occassion of my birthday! Just loved it, but more so because a dear friend made it especially for me. Thanks you so much Jan, it really is a work of art.
    Hugs from across the pond Joan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment...it makes my day