Monday, January 7, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!


This is the card I made for my Mom's birthday card. I hope she enjoys it during the next few weeks. She was a lovely quilter in her younger days and enjoyed hand quilting her pieces. This Ipattern reminds me of a quilt she made for me in the 60's. My quilt is very bright yellow, orange and white. I hope she enjoys the card!...I enjoy my quilt!

Afraid this didn't take nearly the time of her quilting but it is still filled with love. This is how I made it-- I started with 16- 1" squares of red and 8-1" square of white stamped cardstock. I cut the white squares diagonally and glued on top of the red squares. I then cut 4 pieces of 2x2 thin cardstock. Look at the block and visually cut it into 1/2 horizonally and vertically result in 4 equal sized 2x2 blocks. Focusing on one 2x2 and I made all 4 the same pattern gluing the 4-1"blocks on the 2x2. Rotate each 2x2 a 1/4 turn more than the previous. All four pieces are the same layout just turned one position. Then place the 4 pieces on a 4 1/4 piece of white cardstock. I put the red mat through the cuttlebug twice to make a swirl backaground. My final card is 5 1/2"square. It is actually a fairly simple card which comes together easily once you get a feel for the layout. Happy stamping!

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful card. Happy Birthday to your mom :)

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Mom! Oh, it is a lovely card, Jan. I can see just how you laid those blocks together. How could she not love it. Red and white quilts are my absolute favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, I'll be trying it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is beautiful! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Jan this is gorgeous, thanks for sharing how you did it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A belated Happy Birthday wish to your mom!

    Oh Jan...this is wonderful. It really looks complicated and time consuming to make but the outcome is stunning! I love it and I know your mmom does too!

    ~ Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning! I too have a quilting Mum. I think I need step by step photos to figure out the layout though, I was with you at triangles, but lost it after that :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your Mom had a wonderful birthday. I am sure this card brightened her day.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love it - I think I just found what my Valentine's cards are going to be this year! Thank you!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment...it makes my day