Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Something new.....

Crayola Model Magic comes in several colors and can be found the foil lined little bags in with the kiddos art supplies for about $2 a bag. So have you ever tried rolling it out? That's not a easy task-I found some hand manipulation of small amount to be more successful than working with rolling a large piece. If you know another way I'd love to hear! But once a little is flatten an impression can be made with a powdered (talcum) rubber stamp. Hopefully a nice embossed impression is achieved but I found the depth of the the rubber image and the detail makes a difference. Somewhat it is a little trial and some great successes. I made about a dozen pieces and found I hardly touched the quantity provided. Directions on that package say to use it in one setting and not to store in the bag it is purchased in. After 3 days it still seems fine in the foil bag inside a Ziploc. It took about 48 hours to dry the thinner pieces. I colored the white clay with inks on my aquabrush. Initially some of the ink seemed to disappear...so perhaps a little base coat would be helpful. It was fun to work with a little dimension piece made from the stamp! I bet these pieces could be made into magnets or perhaps even pins if sealed. Hmmm...need to go play some more!
Be sure to share your results if you give this a try!

5 comments:

  1. Did you stamp without ink? It sure made a nice de-bossed image. Love what you did with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea! In some ways it reminds me a bit of the paper mache' like method of using a stamp image but without all of that mess. This is definitely something I'll give a try.

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really interesting Jan. Thanks for sharing.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some of this and have never opened the package... ( ha i wonder if its still anygood?)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment...it makes my day