Monday, March 24, 2008

A pocket full of posies


After watching the video tutorial on painting a transparency with alcohol inks and blending fluid in a aqua pen of course I had to give the new technique a try. But first I hooked my friend Jennifer into agreeing to play along with this experiment. We agree to reveal our results tonight.
Clear Paintables are transparencies that one buys with designs preprinted for easy coloring. Since they are not proportioned to fit cards I decided to try to make my own by stamping with Stazon ink and using the alcohol ink on the back side. I tried a couple different images until I found one with larger painting areas. Unfortunately I could not get the alcohol ink to build layers of colors which makes them so fantastic. I did use recycled plastic instead of transparencies so I have more work to do to see if that makes the difference. I did use some metallic pearl behind the background...I like that look a lot. I confess I had to use my Sharpie markers to fill in a few spots where the alcohol ink would not stay. This is a fun and fast technique--definately worth more experimentation!
Don't forget to check out Jennifer's work she will be posting tonight too!

9 comments:

  1. WOW this is gorgeous! I love that fun images too! Did you blend the alcohol inks with diamond glaze? The link to the tutorial did not work for me? I heard that is the key to the AI working and staying on! Doesn't matter what you did is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, you card is so beautiful! I knew when you threw the challenge gauntlet down in front of me that I was in for a great learning experience. This was so much FUN to do. I'm hooked.

    Your card literally spills beautiful flowers from the pocket. Your art and technique makes your cards visually come alive.

    BEAUTIFUL!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, this is beautiful! I watched that video yesterday and was intrigued. Now I just have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO beautiful Jan! It was great seeing the different interpretations/results of your and Jennifer's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful results, Jan. You always come up with the neatest techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an amazing card. I love the depth of color you achieved while keeping is soft and dreamy. The sentiment stitched on is so fun. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty Jan! You make me want to break out my AIs tonight and work on something...

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is absolutely gorgeous!

    jazzypurple853/shelley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment...it makes my day